The McAlester Fire Department responded to a fire call at the Aldridge Senior Apartments on Monday evening.
“An elderly man was smoking in a recliner and fell asleep,” said McAlester Fire Chief Brett Brewer. “The cigarette fell down between the arm of the chair and the seat” and started the chair on fire.
Brewer said the fire call came in at 10:44 p.m. on Monday and first responders were on the scene by 10:48 p.m. “We responded with seven firefighters, three engines and one ambulance,” Brewer said.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the one piece of furniture — the chair, Brewer said. The fire chief also said no injuries were reported as a result of the incident and there were no significant cost damages to report.
Firefighters finished their work and left the scene by 11:19 p.m., Brewer said.
Contact Rachel Petersen at email@example.com.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smart phone.