By Rachel Petersen
During the month of January, there were 55 felony cases filed at the Pittsburg County District Courthouse. Since multiple people can be charged in a single case, there were 64 people charged with felony counts in those 55 cases.
• Drug and/or Alcohol — Of the 64 people charged with felony counts, 27 were charged with drug or alcohol related charges. This category includes driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, possession of drugs, drug theft, manufacturing or cultivating drugs, bringing drugs into a jail or prison, distribution of drugs and maintaining a place for keeping /selling drugs.
• Theft — Of the 64 people charged, 22 were charged with theft. This category includes grand larceny, drug theft, automobile theft, concealing stolen property, embezzlement, bogus check charges and forgery.
• Burglary and Robbery — Of the 64 people charged, 11 were charged with burglary or robbery. This category includes both first and second degree burglary as well as various levels of robbery.
• Assault — Of the 64 people charged, seven were charged with assault. This category includes domestic assault and battery, assault on a police officer, aggravated assault and assault in the presence of minors.
• Firearm —Of the 64 people charged, four had firearm related charges. Three of the four people charged with firearm felony counts were also charged with drug related felony counts. The fourth had a firearm felony charge along with an assault charge.
• Malicious Property Injury — Of the 64 people charged, two faced felony counts of Malicious injury to property. One of those two also faced a felony theft charge in the case.
• Sex Crimes — Of the 64 people charged, two faced sex crime charges. One was charged with sexual battery while the other was charged with failing to register as a sex offender.
• Child Endangerment — Of the 64 people charged, one person faced a felony child endangerment charge along with a DUI felony charge.
Information on felony case filings in Pittsburg County District Court is public record and can be obtained at the courthouse at 122 E. Carl Albert Parkway in McAlester.
Contact Rachel Petersen at email@example.com.
For more on this story, see the print or electronic editions of the McAlester News-Capital. Click here for print edition home delivery or click here to see the Smart Edition for your computer, tablet, e-reader or smart phone.